Q: How can I discontinue my electrical service?
A: This is done in the following ways,
Note: we are assuming here that the requesting party is the contract holder.
I. He (the customer) must formally request for such intention in writing.
- He is to further indicate in the request his/her intention to have (a) the Contract For Electric service terminated and (b) the meter and service deposits (including interest earned) withdrawn.
- He will be asked to present proof of his/her identity. Driver's license, SSS ID, etc will do. If customer is unable to present proof of identity, MERALCO Field Representative will go on site to verify the identity. This is to make sure that the request is authentic.
II. The following actions will be made after receiving the request and proving the identity.
- Meralco field personnel (Field Rep or Meter Sector crew) will be sent to have the service disconnected. This may entail removal of Meralco facilities such as wires and meters and in some cases the transformer if being used exclusively for the electric service of the customer.
- Meralco office personnel (Branch Rep) will process the termination of contract. This will entail generation of final billing.
- Customer will be asked to return to the branch to (a) settle the final billing or have his final bill deducted from the deposit due for refund and (b) receive the remainder of the deposit upon surrender of deposit receipts or submission of affidavit of loss and return of meter socket. Refund will be through cheque if the amount is more than P4,000. If deposit refund is transacted by third party, an authorization letter is required.
Q: How can my MERALCO records be corrected?
A: If the service is not registered under his name, we will process the transaction as TRANSFER OF SERVICE. This is done in the following ways:
- He (the customer) should present (a) proof of ownership or occupancy and (b) valid ID as proof-of-identity. If existing contract holder is the owner of the premises/lot, an additional written permis-sion or consent from the existing contract holder will be required.
- Meralco office personnel (Branch Representative) will process the termination of contract under the name of the outgoing customer and will then immediately create a new customer under the name of the incoming customer.
- This will entail payment of new service deposits by the incoming customer. The old meter and service deposit may be withdrawn only by the outgoing customer (or his representative) upon payment of all bills and presentation of corresponding deposit receipts. Refund will be through cheque if the amount is more than P4,000.
If the name that appears on the bill is misspelled, we will process the transaction as MODIFICATION OF DATA only. This is done in the following ways:
- He (the customer) should present a valid ID as proof of correct name.
- Meralco office personnel (Team Leader) will update our record online.
- Prospective billing documents, notices, and letters will then bear the corrected name.